Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Van Update

Evening Update:

After getting home from my meeting at about 8:30PM, I started back on the van.


Removed rivet heads from passenger's side upper ball joint, knocked out rivets, and separated it from the steering knuckle.
Slide the splash shield off off to give better access to the lower ball-joint.
Removed tie-rods on the passenger's side.
Removed separated lower ball joint and then pressed it out.

It got dark so I stopped.

This is what it looks like now:

What comforts me is the fact that the other side was the same and it is all back together.

What I have left to do is:
Press in the lower ball joint (Yeah! Then I can return the press and get the deposit I left to borrow it back.)
Mount the upper ball joint.
Re-installs splash shield, put on ball joint nuts and tighten to torque specs and grease.
Install new tie-rods, the ones on this side were in much worse condition than the other side.
Install shocks
Pack bearing and install hub/rotor
Install new pads and re-attach caliper.
Take it to get aligned.
Do rear brakes.

The list is getting smaller. I might even have it done by the end of the week, although the rear brakes could be a real chore.


Post a Comment